Clifton-upon-Teme is a village in the Malvern Hills District in the county of Worcestershire, England.
Named after the River Teme which runs nearby, it has a village shop, parish church, nursery and primary school, village hall, vetinary surgery, garage and two pubs, one being The New Inn.
The village is an excellent example of an Anglo-Saxon settlement overlooking the River Teme, situated on the ancient salt route that led from Droitwich to Leominster.
The earliest surviving mention of the village is in the Latin Charter of King Athelstan, granting it to the monks of St. Peter's Monastery in Worcester in 934 AD when it was referred to as Clistun ultra Tame.
During the time of the wars with the Welsh, the manor of Clifton became established and was granted Royal Borough status by Henry III of England in 1270, allowing it to hold a weekly market on Thursdays and an annual four-day fair.
© The New Inn Clifton Upon Teme 2011 All Rights Reserved | Website by AR Computer Systems